A Study on Consumer Service Quality Perception of Fast Food Industry in Bangalore City
The fast food industry is one of the most important and rapidly growing segments of the overall restaurant industry . At the same time, it is a very dynamic and competitive business where too many food chains are chasing few consumers. This has become a million dollar questions-“what is youth’ s choice of fast food restaurant?” .This present study is an attempt to understand the perception of Indian young consumers, majorly focused on the key players like Mc Donalds, KFC, Pizza Hut, Dominos, T aco Bell, Subway , and Papa John’ s. This empirical study was conducted based on primary data collected from 275 respondents in Bangalore city through a structured questionnaire. V arious attributes like taste, variety , price, location, service etc were examined. Several statistical tools were applied to screen the richness of attributes affecting the choice of fast food outlets by Indian young consumers and to analyse the best perceived attribute by them. The study unveiled that McDonald and Dominos are the most preferred fast food outlets followed by Subway , Pizza Hut and KFC etc. Further, comparative study was also fared between McDonalds and Dominos to dissect the attributes influencing quality perception of these two outlets.
- ANI (2006), “Toilet Water is Cleaner than Ice of Fast Food Joints”, available at http://in.news.yahoo.com/060217/139/62jvd.html
- Drewnowski, A., & Specter, S. E. (2014). Poverty and obesity: the role of energy density and energy costs. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 79(1), 6-16.
- Goyal, A., & Singh, N. P . (2007). Consumer perception about fast food in India: an exploratory study . British Food Journal, 109(2), 182-195.
- Nondzor, H. E., & T awiah, Y . S. (2015). Consumer perception and preference for fast food: A study of tertiary students in Ghana. Science Journal of Business and Management, 3(1), 43-49.
- Nichani M (2005), Urbanites in India Junk Health, Turn Fast Foodies”, The Economic Times, January 12, India
- Prabhavathi, Y ., Kishore, N. K., & Kumar, M. R. (2014). Consumer Preference and Spending Pattern in Indian Fast Food industry , International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 4(2).
- Spence, C., Levitan, C. A., Shankar, M. U., & Zampini, M. (2010). Does food colour influence taste and flavor perception in humans? Chemosensory Perception, 3(1), 68-84.
- Tiwari, P ., & V erma, H. (2008). Consumer Perception about Fast Food in India: An Empirical Study of Dehradun City . ICF AI Journal of Consumer Behavior, 3(4).
- Thakkar, K., & Thatte, R. M. (2014). Consumer perceptions of food franchise: A study of McDonalds and KFC. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 4(3), 1-5.
- www.euromonitor.com/fast-food. Accessed on 24/10/2017.
- www.franchisehelp.com/industry-reports/fast-food-industry-analysis. Accessed on 24/10/2017.
- www.ibef.org/industry/indian-food-industry.aspx. Accessed on 24/10/2017.